Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Half Moons! plus, PWI twofer: Urban Outfitters Bandeau & Sinful Colors Frenzy

"Half moons" (those white arcs at the base of your fingertips) are often re-represented on nails in a variety of silly colors.  Traditionally this is done by masking off the base of your nails with these:
Which is, you know, pretty amusing.
I've tried this look before, but since I exclusively use peel-off base coat,* I always end up just peeling off the entire nail's polish.  ANY way, the other day I was reading some blog about nails (don't remember whose, sorry!) and the blogger said something like, "Then I put hole reinforcements on my nails, being sure to stick them to the back of my hand first of course..."

Of course.

So obvious in retrospect.  I mean if I had really sat down and formulated the question as "How do I make these less sticky,"  I would have answered it immediately.  Formulating the right question when you see a problem is, sometimes, the only hard thing.  Or even realizing you should treat it as a solvable problem.  Engineering is hard!

But!  It means you get to see my first ever successful (ish) half moons.

Here's Urban Outfitters Bandeau:

Indoor.  I doooon't need a new camera (I don't) but
would a lamp be such a bad idea?  ...I'm doomed
Which is a fairly nice purple creme; 2 coats.  In low light it reads as black, in bright light it looks about like this, satiny dark purple.  In sunlight, however, it is glowingly purple, as shown below.  The odd, slightly satiny finish is accurate.

With Sinful Colors Frenzy, a nice purple-and-plum glitter.

X
Purple!  Indirect sunlight/direct sunlight.  Glitter's hard to take a good picture of.
I feel like I would need a star filter or something.  For the camera. That I don't need.

I don't think this color choice was that successful.  I'm not sure why, but it feels off from a bit of distance.  Dunno!  Maybe I'm just not used to it.  Also, waiting for three layers of Frenzy to dry was kind of awful; next time I want something fast for that part.  The stickers did pull some of the Bandeau up, I'm guessing because it wasn't fully dry.

But!  Still!  Lookit!  Half-moons!  Purple ones!



* Subject of upcoming post

3 comments:

  1. Ooooo I dig this! Nice even glitter distribution. --Mama T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! This is so many coats, like 3 or 4 or something. :-P Which is why it took forever to dry! 1-2 coats over the whole nail is pretty, though. I just wanted a sharp line.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete