Wednesday, April 30, 2014

PWI Twofer: Julep Cassie and Sally Hansen Sparkling

Julep... Oh man.  Let's talk about Julep.

For one thing, their polishes were originally mostly/only available in a beauty subscription box, which is a thing that mostly means "overpriced and mediocre" but whatever we can talk about it later.  Which, fine.  Don't care, you can get them elsewhere now.  But even so... they are so expensive per actual nail painting!  I mean I know I said I don't really care about price/oz but I do not like to be insulted.

But I wanted to be objectively fair, so, inspired by my favorite beauty blog and/or my actual background as a researcher,  I did some data analysis, based on: (1) what was within arms' reach, plus (2): what prices I roughly remembered paying and/or Google suggested ish.

Brand$USDml$/ml
Sinful Colors215$0.13
Pure Ice215$0.13
Sally Hansen Xtreme2.515$0.17
Wet'n'Wild Shine2.212.7$0.17
Sally Hansen Hard as Nails2.513.3$0.19
Urban Outfitters515$0.33
Rimmel London 60 second38$0.37
Rimmel London lasting finish pro513.3$0.38
Orly818$0.44
Sally Hansen Triple Shine510$0.50
O•P•I8.515$0.57
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri69.2$0.65
Revlon68$0.75
Julep148$1.75
 Sorted by $USD/ml.  Also, "formatting" this table makes 
me feel better about the impending move to wordpress.

So yeah: Julep is officially insane.  They have sales all the time, but, but... I mean come on.  Julep I can do basic math!  Surprisingly many adults can do basic math.  Plus your stupid long skinny bottle gets knocked over easily.  But then my friend N came over with her enormous collection of Julep polishes, two of which she insisted looked better on me.  So now I have some Julep nail polish after all.  Ehn.

Julep Cassie:

Indoors.  Blurry but faaiirrlly color-accurate?

I actually liked the color, both indoors and out; I rarely wear pink, but this is a warm-toned and (IMO) atypically sophisticated variant.  The formula was somewhat sheer... this is three thick coats, and it could probably have used another but I ran out of patience.  Of course, the next morning I got interested in...

Sally Hansen Sparkling:

Pink glitter!  With a Cassie accent nail,
just so you can see it in (overcast) daylight.

I think they work together really well, actually.  I was really pleased with the effect. 

1 comment:

  1. I really do like that Cassie! Being not much for the pale pink, I'm surprised. It looks excellent on you. --Mama T.

    ReplyDelete