Saturday, March 29, 2014

2 down, 2 to go

Interview #2: accomplished!

It was definitely better than the first one.  But... I'm not sure the culture is a good fit, and I'm not sure I'm at the right stage in my career.  It's a university-affiliated research institute, and I could apparently be jointly appointed with a (tenure-track) position at the university. 

That is an amazing offer. Amazing.

But trying to get tenure in %50 or %70 of my time sounds very, very difficult.  To succeed at both that and the institute's needs, I have to be beyond "above average for junior faculty" (already f'ing hard).  I have to be a freaking star.

On the other hand, the research is an excellent fit.  They're right to want me, given their needs, and there are people there I could totally work with.  Would be overjoyed to work with!  Hell, my first day there they brought in an ISS vet!  (It may not have come up, but I am a squealing and unapologetic space fangirl.)

I'm trying not to dither about it, because until they make me an offer, and someone else makes me an offer, and so on and so forth, it's pointless – the decision tree is too deep right now.
Atlanta airport.  Sucker's gotta be 3, 4 stories tall. Super-tall
escalators always make me dizzy when I look waaay up.

I'm sorry I'm being kinda cagey with details.  I would hardly describe this blog as anonymous (although I'm thinking about how I want to handle it), but I am trying to avoid anything Google-able for now, especially by, say, interviewers!

No comments:

Post a Comment