Saturday, March 15, 2014

Lazy curry dinner

Mr. Fix-It is out of town, and as much as I love to cook, I really don't get any kick out of cooking for one.  Nobody does!  It's depressing!  So usually when he's out of town I subsist on boiled eggs and cheese sandwiches.  But, I am trying to do better.

Dinner Thursday was actually, in my opinion, surprisingly successful, for using stuff from the corner drugstore and taking barely longer than boiling eggs.  Also, Mr. Fix-It hates curry, so I got a curry fix.

    Step 1: Thaw a chicken breast,* cut it into teeny pieces, and quick-like cook it up in a pan.  (I used sesame oil.  I always use sesame oil if I can get away with it.)  Dump in a bowl. 

    Step 2: In the same pan, scramble an egg.**  Dump in the bowl. 

    Step 3: Take a one of these of these:

A Taste of Thai Quick Meal Yellow Curry Noodles!
Amazon, get this back in stock, Bartell's is too far away
and (same pan! no rinsing it!) follow the stupidly-easy stove-top instructions. 

    Step 4: Add egg and chicken back in. Stir. 

    Step 5: Dump everything all together into bowl.  Eat.

Easy? Yes.†† Haute cuisine?  Absolutely not.  Better than a cheese sandwich?  Yes!  And honestly, better than or equivalent to about ⅔ of the Thai on the Ave.

Plus, I really like finding goofy things to do with convenience foods.

* Okay, that part didn't come from Bartell's
** This one did though!
Dump everything into pan, boil. "Everything" is: a cup of water; a large packet of "coconut milk powder"; a small packet of mysterious, slightly sweet yellow-powder-with-dried-stuff in; a tiny plastic pouch of oozy red curry paste.
†† You know what's even easier though? Without the protein additions this is meant to be microwaved inside that box there!

No comments:

Post a Comment