Sunday, February 9, 2014

Project Wear-It: OPI Push and Shove

The blogosphere seems to have developed something of a love-hate relationship with OPI's limited edition Gwen Stefani polish Push and Shove.  As an affirmed geek, it should be no surprise that I want mirror nails badly.  (I want to look like I'm from the future!  Is that so wrong?)

It is, as many others have said, super fussy.  Especially, I tend to do a lot of light strokes, and this drags so badly.  But I persevered, trying a few combinations, and the smoothest, shiniest look I got was pretty exciting!

A couple of pictures, both in indirect (and overcast) daylight. This was after dinner and 
sleep, and they're a little dinged up, but definitely still wearable. (No, I do not take great 
photos or do cleanup particularly well, it's true. Life goes on.)
The combination that worked for me was:
  1. DIY peel-off base coat
  2. Regular base coat*
  3. Lay down the Base base coat (included with the polish)
  4. One thick, unfussed-with layer of the shiny (two thick strokes for thumbs)
  5. Patience
I couldn't get Seche Vite to work as an underlayer, although many people have had good luck.  I bet using it for Step 2 would work, though. I did find that top coat dulled it; only a tiny bit, but still.

* I used Sinful Colors Base Coat. Then I put it in a pile to get rid of, because it reeks. Bleah!

No comments:

Post a Comment