Wednesday, February 26, 2014

PWI: Island Colors Old Lahina and Surfing Safari

Island Colors is a new-to-me brand, because Hawaii. Cheap, too! I love cheap. (Don't look at me that way, I'm a student.) Unfortunately, most of the colors are something I already obviously have. They do have some shaped glitters that I found interesting; and let's be honest, I'm not going to leave a completely new kind of nail polish alone.

I almost always put glitters over basically the same base color, and generally don't like multicolor glitters. So I picked up the deep red Island Colors Old Lahina, and the lighter red Surfing Safari:

(Does "surfing safari" say "red stars" to you? Because it sure doesn't to me.)
I started with Island Colors Old Lahina:

3 coats, indoor lighting. Mysterious blue thumb.
Which was actually a nice, smooth creme. 1 coat was pinkish, but the 2nd and 3rd settled down to a nice, deep, not-quite-berry red.

I then added Island Colors Surfing Safari:

Look! Stars! ...yeah, I don't see them either, although I swear
they're in there. The red is brighter because this is daylight.
Obviously, this is when things went downhill. I like my glitters subtle, not invisible. Also, the stars were a pain; I had to fish them out one by one and blop them on the nail in a puddle of clear carrier. Sometimes, this process scraped the red off part of a star. I feel like working with loose glitter would have been easier, and that's saying something.

But the main problem is the too-perfect match to the background color. So, when this PWI is over, I may try it on something else. In the meantime, I bought two more colors, because... well, because that's the sort of thing I do, I guess. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment